Sanford Police Department Capt. Jim McAuliffe told Fox News that Zimmerman, 29, was identified by a crash victim as the man who pulled him from the mangled vehicle.
“George Zimmerman pulled me out,” firefighters were told by the unidentified driver, according to McAuliffe.
The Seminole County Sheriff's Office said the single-car accident occurred July 17 at approximately 5:45 pm. and involved a blue Ford Explorer SUV that had left the road and rolled over.
The sheriff's office said there were four occupants inside -- two parents and two children. There were no reports of injuries.
The deputy responding to the crash said that when he arrived, two men -- one of whom was Zimmerman -- had already gotten the family out of the overturned vehicle.
Zimmerman was not a witness to the crash and left after making contact with the deputy, the sheriff's office said.
The crash occurred at the intersection of I-4 and Route 417 in Sanford, police said.
In another development, Sanford police confirmed that Monday they had delivered boxes of evidence from their Zimmerman investigation, including his firearm, to the Federal Bureau of Investigation and Department of Justice.
Zimmerman was acquitted of second-degree murder on July 13 in the killing of Trayvon Martin on Feb. 26, 2012.
Zimmerman's parents, meanwhile, have told ABC News that they have received death threats and have been unable to return to their home following the verdict
"We have had an enormous amount of death threats,” Robert Zimmerman said. “George's legal counsel has had death threats, the police chief of Sanford, many people have had death threats … ‘Everyone with Georgie's DNA should be killed' -- just every kind of horrible thing you can imagine."
Jessica Dibartolomeo Landa and Serafin Gomez contributed to this story